Everything Candlepin

RSS

Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ball makes and models
meikou
Pinboy
Post ball makes and models
on: May 21, 2013, 12:40

Just joined up here after having a email or two with Frank. I bowl duckpin and live in MD.

I'm trying to develop a hook for duckpin bowling with limited success so far. I currently use a set of cobra balls but I can't say that I'm overly impressed with them. My hook (or lack thereof) is more than likely my rubbish technique but I thought I would investigate different ball options.

Information provided by the manufacturers is scant to say the least. I've had a couple of emails with Phipps and one to Epco (who didn't respond) asking about the differences in models. I've been looking at the Epco Ram and possibly their urethane model or the Phipps softroll or urethane. My local lanes are old school wood and appear to be fairly oily but they do hold pro tournaments there so they're kept in good shape.

I was hoping some fellow members would chime in with their thoughts on what they bowl with. I really don't want to buy a $100 door stop or two.

Thanks,

patrick

meikou
Pinboy
Post Re: ball makes and models
on: May 23, 2013, 18:31

26 views but no replies, perhaps I posted this in the wrong place?

bill_s
Pinboy
on: May 24, 2013, 00:55

Not sure if you're going to get much help from a candlepin forum on this. I don't know of anyone in candlepin that throws a hook so even if they are using urethane I don't see what the benefit is for them vs a rubber ball. The people in my league that use urethane throw it straight just like any other type of candlepin ball. I personally use the same rubber balls that I've had for 10+ years.

I would suggest if you want to try and throw a hook watch Lou Sarkisian. He's a duckpin bowler that does it well. Here's a video of him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYIKNlV2TP4 and he's also in one of Urbie's videos from the Eastern Classic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQceYJkBEyg.

Gary
Pinboy
on: May 24, 2013, 09:08

I don't know if brand new balls are what you want if you're looking to hook the ball. If you do get new ones, the softer the better for a hook, so the Ram Pro Rubber would probably be best. I know a some guys rough up the surface of the balls a bit but using a 600 - 800 grit wet sandpaper. It's a bit of work doing that by hand but you don't really have to take anything off the ball, just dull the shine a bit.

meikou
Pinboy
on: May 26, 2013, 21:00

I appreciate the replies. I'll watch the videos and see if I can pick anything up. The pro tour was at my local lanes this weekend but I was making the most of the weather and building my workshop. Next year I'll definitely go watch.

Frank suggested I ask here so apologies for assuming that some people who play candlepin might throw a hook.

Frank-
DeLuca
Pinboy
on: May 28, 2013, 20:15

Meikou,

Absolutely no reason to apologize here. All are welcome here, and there is an obvious correlation between duckpin and candlepin bowling. They are based much more on the bowler's skill than the science behind the bowling ball (unlike ten-pin). And we are always striving for that perfect game in candlepin and duckpin!

meikou
Pinboy
on: May 30, 2013, 00:00

I watched the vids of Lou and he's brilliant. Unfortunately its very hard to see exactly what he does when he releases the ball. On a side note, the second video listed shows one tall bloke with the strangest delivery I've ever seen.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.026 seconds.

January 23rd, 2013  
 Rich Limone