Everything Candlepin

RSS

Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New to Candlepin
mike
Pinboy
Post New to Candlepin
on: August 20, 2013, 16:07

Hi everyone,
Figured I would write something to try to get more discussions going. I am new to bowling. I lost my brother at the age of 32 2 years ago. My dad approached me just recently and asked if I would be on his bowling team this year. What I learned is life is to short and I don't want to regret anything so I said yes. Also I love competition and trying new things so I knew it would be fun. Our league starts the first week of September and I'm already getting excited. I live less than a mile away from a Ryans amusements and just started practicing. I have not picked up a bowling ball in probably over 25 years since I was 12 years old. The four days that I have gone down to practice I have averaged about 3 to 6 strings a day. I have been averaging a score of 85. The one thing I have learned is this sport is hard. My goal is to keep on getting better but would like you all to know this is a hard sport.
Mike

Frank-
DeLuca
Pinboy
Post Re: New to Candlepin
on: August 20, 2013, 19:03

Welcome to Candlepin Bowling Mike!!! Its always exciting to see new people getting into the game! Which Ryan Amusements are you talking about? I live right near the one in Malden. Are you talking about Millis, MA?

mike
Pinboy
on: August 20, 2013, 19:08

Hi Frank
Yes. I live in millis. It is only about a mile from my house

Frank-
DeLuca
Pinboy
on: August 21, 2013, 10:16

Sorry to hear of the loss of your brother, Mike. Though I'm glad you're inspired to take on Candlepin Bowling. There are a couple of GREAT bowlers out of Ryan's in Millis. Stu Bergman lives close by there and he's made several TV appearances over the years. Also, one of the guys that works at Ryan's, Jeremy Seaholm is an excellent bowler. 85 is a good starting point for not bowling in so long. You'll improve that avg in no time at all! Keep Rolling Mike...

mike
Pinboy
on: August 22, 2013, 22:40

My dad knows Jeremy. It's a small world. I am going to be there tomorrow and Saturday night. I will keep an eye out and introduce myself to him. I am going to purchase some balls soon. I was reading on the website how the diferent type balls can effect a hard surface, wood surface, ect and to find out what type of flooring could effect the ball you use. I never realized there was a difference in the balls. I was going to talk with some of the guys down at ryans to see what they suggest. I am very lucky because I live only 5 to 10 minutes away from paramount also. Do you have any suggestions

Frank-
DeLuca
Pinboy
on: August 24, 2013, 09:43

Hey Mike. The two primary sets of bowling balls that I own are the Paramount solids (2.7 lbs) and the Ram Pro Rubber (2.7 lbs). I strongly prefer the solids over the Rams regardless of the surface I am bowling on, but I do occasionally use the Rams. My problem with the Rams is that I'm not able to grip them as well as the solids, perhaps because they are a softer ball. I end up dropping it most of the time and it doesn't end up going where I want it to. You are very lucky that you live close to Paramount. As for suggestions, if you're not looking to spend too much money, they usually have a bargain rack in their store with slightly imperfect bowling balls. I think they bowling balls are perfect, its just usually the engraving on the balls that isn't perfect. Good luck and report back!

Dopey88049
Pinboy
on: August 24, 2013, 12:32

The clearance section also has discontinued balls that are perfect in every way.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.056 seconds.

January 23rd, 2013  
 Rich Limone